Halloween is only 15 days away, so here are some TV-inspired ideas if you are still searching for a great baby Halloween costume:
My First Thomas Costume- A Thomas the Tank Engine costume is perfect for little engineers in training.
October 15, 2008 No Comments
Thomas the Tank Engine has gotten something of a (deserved) bad rap recently due largely to the lead content in the paint used on the toys and the subsequent toy recalls. I am not even a parent and it bugs me to no end to think that people would use toxins in Thomas & Friends toys. But the lead contamination problem notwithstanding, Thomas the Tank Engine is one kid mystery that deserves exploration, because kids around the world love Thomas and his friends.
I think that for an adult, learning the all the characters in the Thomas universe would be like trying to learn Basque from a book. There are just too many, and the distinctions between them are very nuanced. For example, I have a hard time telling the difference between Thomas and Wilbert. To my mind, they are both blue trains with faces on them. But kids can very easily tell the difference and will correct you, so don’t even bother trying to fool them.
Here are some great Thomas guides (pun intended) to help you navigate Thomas’ world:
- MyFavoriteToys.com: Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends Character Guide
- The Origins of Thomas the Tank Engine
- Thomas and Friends’ Activities for Kids
- Thomas the Tank Engine Cake instructions
- How Thomas the Tank Engine Works
- Children with Autism and Thomas the Tank Engine — a totally fascinating and insightful read
- Parents weigh in on the question: Do autistic kids especially like Thomas the Tank Engine?
- Top 10 Ideas for Using Thomas the Tank Engine as a Teaching Tool by Lisa Jo Rudy
April 30, 2008 No Comments